To #JERF is to ‘just eat real food’.
A lot of people still seem to be confused as to exactly what constitutes as JERFing. We thought we’d clear up a few things.
1. KISS (keep it simple, stupid).
- Choose food with the least number of ingredients. Simplify and focus on quality not quantity.
2. Avoid store-bought sauces.
- Avoid the normally sugar-laden sauces and make your own!
3. Shop at local farmers’ markets.
- Always try and eat local whenever possible.
- And eat fruit and veg that’s in season (it’s cheaper, too!).
4. Eat what you can see and name.
- Don’t eat anything with ingredients you can’t identify as food!
- That goes for anything with numbers in the ingredients list, too.
5. Eat real superfoods.
- Our “superfoods?” Plain old fresh fruit and veg!
6. Eat like it’s 1934.
- Go back to the way your grandparents used to eat. Meat and three veg, real butter, the whole egg and chicken skin.
7. Domesticate yourself.
- Cooking is without a doubt the absolute best way to #JERF.
- It means you know what’s going into your food and it’s a skill you will keep for a lifetime. Like riding a bike, only… food.
- Learning how to cook is one of the best skills you’ll learn on our Keys2words: Keys2words.info.
8. Grow your own.
- Regrow your veggies from scraps.
- Start a veggie garden or have a few pots of herbs growing on your windowsill. It’s cheap, customisable, totally organic and really fun!
9. Stick to the edges.
- of grocery stores and supermarkets.
- That’s generally where all of the fridges and fresh food is kept. Avoid the lure of the middle aisles!
10. Eat everything.
- Why would you juice and remove the good fibre, nutrient-dense parts of your food?
- Don’t chuck out the trimmings on your meat and learn to love your daggy veggies!
11. Bulk up.
- Buy all your veggies, grains and nuts in bulk when they’re in season. Then freeze them into portions and you’ll never have an excuse to not JERF again!
- Check out our favourite freezer hack meals to make in a snap.
- Or the things we bet you didn’t you know you could freeze.
- And our bluffer’s guide on how long to freeze your food for.
12. Don’t feed the bin.
- Did you know that consumers toss out up to 50 per cent of their groceries each week?
- Utilise every bit of vegetable and fruit you have left.
- Use carrot nubs in soups.
- Turn broccoli stalks in pesto.
- Slow cook your kale stems.
Are you ready to transform your life and quit sugar for good?
Join us on our next Keys2words.info, starting soon!